How to Craft a Necktie Pillow

Learning how to craft a necktie pillow is very easy. Neckties can be found in oodles of colors and patterns and although one necktie alone won't cover a pillow, you combine them by simply weaving into your own tie style pillow.


I used six men's ties to craft my necktie pillow. These thrift shop ties were a real bargain at 25 cents each.


I laid the ties face up with the tips alternating directions as shown. Notice the corners of the paisley tie in the foreground above are around the 21" mark on my cutting grid. I used the measuring tape and marked off approximately 13 inches from the corners of the first necktie and cut in a straight line. Do this for each of the neckties.


Red remnant fabric was used as the fabric stabilizer for the top cover of the necktie pillow. This fabric was cut into a rectangle slightly larger than the ties. (see below)


After pinning the ties in place, I used a straight edge ruler to draw a  stitching line on only the two opposing sides of the cover. (Remember you have to leave the two remaining sides open in order to weave the ties through.) This straight stitching was done on the sewing machine.


The remaining lengths of neckties were used to start the weaving process.


Once the weaving was finished and pinned in place, I went back to the sewing machine and top stitched the edges around all sides of the necktie pillow cover.


I fashioned a sham-like backing for the necktie pillow with the last of the red remnant fabric. The entire construction process was completed in a very short time and the cost was literally just a few dollars. Update: You can also easily construct an envelope back pillow as is shown in this video tutorial.


Once you've learned how to craft a necktie pillow using this weaving process, I'm sure you'll think of all sorts of ways to utilize old neckties. Would love to see what you come up with. Enjoy!

Linking to a party at Under the Table and Dreaming. Come join the fun!

Comments

  1. What timing. I just saw a whole bunch of cool retro ties at the thrift store today and now I know what I can do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lost my daddy a little more than a year ago and I would like to see if my mom still has his ties. I would LOVE to make a pillow out of them as a keepsake. I'm sure I probably gave him 99% of the ties in his wardrobe =) and they were always such pretty ties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing one for my mother-in-law. I did not know how I was going to connect the weave. Just sewing around the pillow top will keep them intact? And could you tell me how to make the sham back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sue! Yes, if you follow the instructions above and first stitch down only two opposite sides at the edge. Then weave the ties through snugly, then stitch down again all the way around and trim to the edge. That should keep them in place.
      As for the sham back.....an envelope back is easier. I updated the article to include a link to a video tutorial that shows how to make an envelope pillow. Since you have already made the front with the ties, just follow the rest of the video tutorial. Good Luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!

Popular Posts